The 2019-2020 deadlines for open enrollment applications are March 1, 2019 for Grades 1 – 12 and September 1, 2019 for Kindergarten. Also included with this is the request for transportation assistance and the right to appeal. If you have any questions, please contact the District Office.
In order for a student to enroll into the Gilbert School District, a student must be a district resident on the first day of the school year or on the date the student first attends school (if after the designated first day of the school year). The residency of a student is determined by physical presence for a primary purpose unrelated to school. The home a student is living in determines the residence.
Please be aware of the following:
- A mailing address does not constitute residency
- An apartment or house rented for the purpose of attending school does not establish residency
- In the case of shared custody, parents/guardian must designate one district of residence
- The rule of thumb is that residency is determined by where the child sleeps most nights of the week
If students are not living in the district on the first day of the school year but they plan to move into the district at a later date, they would attend their current district resident school (prior to the move) or they would need to open enroll into the Gilbert School District. If they have missed the open enrollment deadline of March 1st (September 1st for Kindergarten only) and they want to attend Gilbert schools, they would need to pay tuition for the number of days they attend until they become a Gilbert School District resident – as long as there is available space.
- Click here for a link to the Open Enrollment page of the Iowa Department of Education website.