The Iowa FFA Degree is the highest degree the state can bestow upon an FFA member. These Gilbert FFA members met the qualifications for the degree that include: involvement in a Supervised Agricultural Experience, FFA activities above Chapter level, classroom/lab activities as well as community service for the past 3 years. Only approximately 5% of the more than 14,700 Iowa FFA Members met the degree requirements this year. Great Job Gilbert FFA!
Gilbert Intermediate was chosen for a $1,000.00 grant for new books by the Read With Me! program. The Read with Me! program is a partnership between EMC Insurance and KCCI Channel 8 news. Tuesday KCCI Anchor/Reporter Marcus McIntosh and team members put on an assembly for the students where Marcus read a book to the students, and answered some questions they had for him! Be sure to watch the news Friday, April 7th at 5 PM to see the segment!
- The HS and MS chapters did the prestigious Emblem Ceremony at the opening session on Sunday.
- We competed in STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) Events on Monday. Two Middle Schoolers (6th Graders!) received a Gold in their event and earned the opportunity to compete at the National Conference in Nashville this July. Tayea Popillion in Career Investigation and Katie Lavrov in the Environmental Ambassador category.
- Jordan Rydl received a silver in Life Event Planning, as did the Parli Team of Noah Brinkmeyer, Josh TImms, Mackenzie Carder, TJ Swanson and Bobby Rudman.
- Justine Rosburg was elected to the 2017-2018 FCCLA State Leadership Council. She will serve our state as the new Vice President of Community Outreach!! Only 8 members from across the state serve on this council!! (Gilbert has had a strong history of state officers- ’13-14 Sadie Timms, ’14-15 Austin Graber, ’15-16 Nick Greiner, and ’16-17 Noah Brinkmeyer! And many before them!)
- We had a super conference- THANKS to all of you who have been a part of their lives and a big reason why they have become the super individuals and leaders they are. THANK YOU for all your encouragement and support through the years!
On Saturday, March 25, the GMS Science Club participated in Science Olympiads at Coe College.
Gold Medalists included: