Welcome to the Elementary Makerspace!
What is a Makerspace?
Our Makerspace is a designated area set aside for creative, exploratory, and scientific learning. With a foundation from the Engineering Design Process, our students are able to explore the possibilities of creation in a way that feels like play!
What is in our Makerspace?
The better question may be what is not in our Makerspace! We have a variety of art supplies: cardboard, beads, fabric, pipe-cleaners, markers, etc. We also have many experiences for hands on learning through Legos, Make-do, Coding Devices, and so much more! At Gilbert, we believe the possibilities are endless and provide many opportunities for students to stretch their imaginations.
The Engineering Design Process
This model provides a way of thinking through each creation that the students make. Our goal is to have students understand and implement this process not only in the Makerspace, but in other content areas as well!
- Ask: What is the problem? How have others approached it?
- Imagine: Brainstorm ideas and choose the best one.
- Plan: Make lists of the materials that you will need and the steps you will take.
- Create: Follow your plan and create something. Test it out!
- Improve: What works? What didn’t work? How can you improve your design?